A review of the status of tech groups in the Toledo region. This will help us figure out who to invite to the GeekDinner HolidayMixer in December.
New in 2014
- Girl Develop It Toledo (website, meetup, calendar): Announced at the 2013 holiday mixer, GDI has already hosted 4 code-and-coffees and 10 days of workshops.
- Northwest Ohio SQL Server Users Group (LinkedIn, calendar): Started in May, every other month, so far.
- TALUG (website, calendar): Fourth Saturdays, mostly.
- FANUG (website, calendar): Last Tuesdays.
- NWOFMPUG (meetup, calendar): First Tuesdays.
- CocoaHeads/Toledo iOS Developers (meetup, calendar): First Thursdays.
- NWSPUG (website, calendar): Quarterly, Wednesday lunches.
- NWNUG (meetup, calendar): Third Tuesdays.
- TWP (meetup, calendar): Second Wednesdays, usually, with other special events.
- ISACA (website, calendar).
- StartUp Toledo (website, calendar): Third or fourth Thursdays.
Have met a few times in 2014
- The Nerd Summit (meetup, calendar): 3-d printing series started, other events in the works.
- Toledo VMUG (website, calendar).
- LRITA (website, calendar): April was their big conference.
- Rocket Ventures’ TechConnect (calendar): Returned this year.
- Expected to start up again in the fall when the students return: BGSU ACM (Facebook, calendar), UT ACM (website, calendar).
- TMOUG (LinkedIn), OpenHack (Twitter), NWOACM (website, usually only meets once/year), DevToledo (website gone), UT ASM (Facebook), NWO-PUG (Google group), ToledoGeekLunch (Twitter), Toledo Hackerspace (Facebook-only group now).
Who/what is missing? What is incorrect? Contact us.
PS It is also interesting to look at some of the venues of note so far in 2014:
- Seed (calendar): Over 30 events so far, including their own Lunch ‘n’ Learns, but mostly events for groups above (and others).
- HCR ManorCare (calendar): 8 events as the unofficial host of Microsoft-focused groups.
- Service Spring (calendar): Only 3 events so far this year, but with 3 different groups.
- ITT Tech (calendar): A new location, seeking more groups to collaborate with.